Friday, October 7, 2011

Excerpt: Chapter One

Well my friends, we've made it to the end of the week.

Here is a partial excerpt, as promised.

I would love to hear your thoughts about it :)

Here you go...
My fingers grazed the books. Every ridge, tattered cover and broken spine spoke to me like a dear old friend. The smell of worn pages sparked the familiar feelings of unfading wonder. Time stood still in these quiet aisles; only my soft footsteps alerting outsiders to the stirring of life. As I moved through the sections, my mind wandered.

Becker’s Books was an escape from reality. The dark, wood shelves that lined the walls transported me to a forest, breathing life. The sleepy scent of pine trees and fresh rain relaxed my nerves. As I stood amongst the pages, I closed my eyes and imagined sitting on the moss and dirt covered floor with my back against an ever-growing tree. I watched the birds soar above me and the hares hop from one hiding place to the next. Here, life had a purpose. There was a plan without it ever being spoken. As my eyes slowly opened, I breathed in the remaining thoughts of freedom.
I had so much fun writing this piece. I love filling my projects with detailed imagery and explanations to things that would otherwise have gone unnoticed.

Have a blessed weekend everyone!

A.

1 comment: